Bathroom remodeling is one of the most popular home renovation projects in Apex, NC and Cary, NC. Adding a fresh new look in a bath does not require a huge investment of time or money and can add resale value to your home. As with any home improvement project, there are many factors to consider before making your first move.
Bathroom Remodeling Basics :
- Space: Standard building codes allow half-baths (sink and toilet) to be as small as 11-square feet. For comfort’s sake, however, we recommend a space at least 3-4 feet wide and 6-8 feet long for a half-bath. Check local building codes for requirements in your jurisdiction. (If working with a small space, see our post on space-saving tips for baths.)
- Power: Modern bathroom appliances – from razors to toothbrushes to hair styling tools – can wreak havoc on the wiring in older homes. If this is the case in your home, consider updating the wiring instead of simply swapping out outlets. Choose a dedicated 20-amp circuit to accommodate the appliances you use, and don’t skimp on the outlets.
- Water conservation: Look into eco-friendly options when choosing shower-heads, faucets and toilets. Check local codes and regulations that are applicable, as jurisdictions adopting water-conserving guidelines are increasing.
- Toilet: Look for a toilet with a maximum performance score of 500 or higher. This category includes many eco-friendly options that use less than half the legal limit of 1.6-gallon-per-flush.
- Tub/shower: The many modern options available for tubs and showers require consideration of how you will use them. New oversized soaking tubs can be a nice luxury but demand a sizable space that accommodates them.
- Safety: Don’t shortchange your safety. Once only a consideration for seniors and small children, homeowners of all demographics are choosing to add safety features to their bathrooms. Manufacturers are offering a variety of products that combine beauty with the practical function of grab bars, shower seats and more.
- Decor: Take your time in deciding from the many color and style options available. Keep in mind that you may be living with your choice for many years, so it’s best not to make a hasty decision.
We specialize in Bathroom Remodeling in Apex and Cary, North Carolina.
Navigating the many details of bathroom remodeling is the specialty of Mike Lockhart Construction. We have helped numerous homeowners in Apex, Cary, Morrisville and Raleigh gain the greatest benefit and financial return from a remodeled bath.
To view some of our bathroom remodeling projects, view gallery below.